Follow us on:

Pages

Barrington native goes up ‘The River’

Jeff Galfer is pretty optimistic for a dead man. His character was the first casualty on ABC's Feb. 7 premiere of the paranormal TV show, "The River".

"I knew I was going to die, but that did not matter to me, because I was so excited to work at this level," the Barrington native said.

Landing the role of Sammy, a camera crew documenting the search for a missing explorer, was not easy. Galfer stepped into the audition room because he knew the pilot director Jaume Collet-Serra, but the rest was a bumpy process. The creative team (Michael R. Perry and Oren Peli, the creator of the "Paranormal Activity" series), wanted him for the role, but the networks wanted a familiar face, and thus the "no" call came - as he in a car with his girlfriend and her parents, whom he met for the first time.

Galfer But fortune soon changed. The next day - when he was about a small claims court to enter a scuffle with his mechanic, his manager told him that he had gotten the part, but he had been in Puerto Rico immediately.

"I told my mechanic I forgave him, and that was the end of that," said Galfer.